Tuesday, June 8, 2010

"The Need"

I am hungry and thirsty. I go to a shop were my choices will include ice cake, twisties (cheetos), magic creams, and a 750 mL bottle of coke or fanta. What would really be good are mandarin oranges (in season), bananas, and an ice cold coconut. As prevelant as those foods are in Samoa, it is much more difficult to obtain them than junk food from the local shops.

As I was enjoying my cheesy cheetos at the hospital waiting area, a mother and her two year old came and sat down at my table. The baby was not happy and probably hungry. To solve this problem, the mother popped of the top of a 750 mL coke bottle (with her teeth no doubt) and started "feeding" her child. The kid was in heaven. He did not let go until half of the bottle was gone. The mother decided to have a few guzzles of her own. The kid looked at me and I saw the euphoria in his eyes. He's addicted to this poison and wants more. He cries until she gives the bottle back.............and she does.

This scene sums up the problem we face, not only here in Samoa but in most parts of the world. Hopefully this crusade of seminars will enlighten a few people to make better decisions for their families and their future.

No comments:

Post a Comment